Hey Somerton Folks – Lets get creative AGAIN! Thinking caps on for our second Scarecrow Competition
We want to liven up the village and give drivers a reason to slow down!
The competition is open to everyone in the village, young and old; individuals and families. There is no theme, and the judging of the scarecrows will be done by us, the villagers, from 3:00 pm Sunday 2 September, through to Friday 14 September 4:00 pm.
There will be a prize awarded at the VPA Show on Saturday 15 September
All entry forms should be submitted by Sunday 2 September 2018 by email or handed to:
Louise & Malcom Thompsom
Any Questions call;
- Malcom Thompson: 01869 345613
- Alison Smith: 07920 017 460
Download your Voting form and location Map here:
Supported by Somerton Parish Council
Suggestion for Scarecrow making (basic design)
- 1 x batten or thick piece of wood/broom handle about 2m long (6ft)
- 1x batten about 1m long (3ft)
- 1 x batten about 30cm long (12 inches)
- Old clothes & 2 old pair of tights
- Stuffing material: – newspaper/straw/hay/bubble wrap etc.
- Tie the 1m stake to the 2m stake, about 15cm from one end, in a cross shape and then tie the other stake in the same way about half way down.
- For head; Cut one leg from the tights and fill with some straw. Push the straw firmly to the end and make it into a ball shape. Tie a piece of string around the tights to stop the straw falling out.
- Stuff a pair of tights with newspaper/straw (this forms the body and legs) and attach to your stake with string.
- Now you can dress your crow by placing the shirt on the top crossbar and the trousers on the smaller bar.
- Your scarecrow must be made from scratch and able to withstand all weather conditions.
- Displayed where it can be easily seen from the road.
- It can be on the pavement or verge but must not cause an obstruction.
- It should be a maximum height of 1.8m.
- Your entry may be a single scarecrow, a family or a group.
- You can include an element of plant material which can be dried, fresh or living.
- You are encouraged to use recycled materials
- You may use props or accessories to enhance your scarecrow
- You will be Emailed a number to display on your scarecrow for voting purposes.
- Scarecrows should be displayed by 3:00 pm Sunday 2 September, ready for voting. & ideally left out for display after the VPA
- Scarecrows may be put out a few days before this date.
- Votes should be emailed or handed to Malcom & Louise by 4:00 pm Friday 14 September
- Results will be announced and prizes awarded at the VPA show Saturday 15 September.
- Extra voting forms will be available on the new Somerton Website: www.somertonvillage.org
- All Somerton residents are eligible to vote.
- Your Entry will be judged on the following criteria: Originality, Artistic Skill, Entertainment Value